Funding Opportunities 2015 2016
Collaborative for Southern Appalachian Studies
Call for Letters of Inquiry
The Collaborative for Southern Appalachian Studies, with generous support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, invites letters of inquiry from individuals or teams (faculty, staff, students, and/or community partners) at Sewanee and Yale for funds to support courses and projects that contribute to the vision, mission, values, and goals of the Collaborative, as described here: http://collaborative.sewanee.edu/about/
The Collaborative offers support for academic endeavors significantly concerned with the study of southern Appalachia. Funds are available to enhance existing courses and research projects, as well as to encourage and support the development of new ones.
Applicants may request funds for:
- summer stipends for course development
- summer stipends for mentoring and supervising student research or other scholarly projects
- co-curricular course expenses, including but not limited to costs associated with working with community partners
- contribution to research costs at the host institution for exchanging students
- travel costs for faculty, staff, and/or community partner
- honoraria for visiting faculty
- support for external organizations or partners that provide key educational experiences to students or support community based participatory approaches
- conference attendance
- other project costs, particularly those that directly support the criteria above
Letters of Inquiry
Letters of Inquiry will be considered on a rolling basis and should be submitted to email@example.com. Our grants working group will review these letters as soon as possible, and then follow up with any questions or additional info that will help them determine if this is an appropriate use of our funds. If we’d like to move toward funding, we will ask the applicant to fill out our full proposal form.
Answers to many questions related to funding can found on our FAQ page.