Collaborative for Southern Appalachian Studies
Call for Letters of Inquiry
The Collaborative for Southern Appalachian Studies, with generous support from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, invites letters of inquiry from individuals or teams (faculty, staff, students, and/or community partners) at Sewanee and Yale for funds to support courses and projects that contribute to the vision, mission, values, and goals of the Collaborative, as described here: http://collaborative.sewanee.edu/about/
The Collaborative offers support for academic endeavors significantly concerned with the study of southern Appalachia. Funds are available to enhance existing courses and research projects, as well as to encourage and support the development of new ones.
Applicants may request funds for:
- summer stipends for course development
- summer stipends for mentoring and supervising student research or other scholarly projects
- co-curricular course expenses, including but not limited to costs associated with working with community partners
- contribution to research costs at the host institution for exchanging students
- travel costs for faculty, staff, and/or community partner(s)
- honoraria for visiting faculty
- support for external organizations or partners that provide key educational experiences to students or support community based participatory approaches
- conference attendance
- other project costs, particularly those that directly support the criteria above
Letters of Inquiry
All letters of Inquiry received by February 15, 2018 will be given full consideration. Please submit letters to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our grants working group will review these letters and follow up by March 1 with invitations to submit full proposals (proposal form), which will be due by March 15. Funding decisions will be announced by April 1, 2018.
Answers to many questions related to funding can found on our FAQ page.